Aug. 3, 2005—Hundreds of area residents and employees jammed four blocks along 27th Street in the Phillips neighborhood on the hot and sticky evening of August 2 to celebrate National Night Out, fulfilling this year's theme of "Building Community One Neighbor at a Time."
Thirty-three event participants arrayed between Chicago and Portland Avenues offered entertainment that included musical acts, puppetry, pony rides, root beer floats, face painting, and much more. Staff of the Phillips Partnership handed out 300 books to children.
For the eighth consecutive year, the event was organized by community relations staff of Phillips Partnership member Abbott Northwestern Hospital. Joyce Krook of ANW and Muriel Simmons of the Phillips West Neighborhood Association were co-chairs.
Other sponsors and participants from the partnership included Wells Fargo, Childrens Hospitals and Clinics, and the Phillips Eye Institute.
Thanks to this year's sponsors:
- Abbott Northwestern Hospital
- Abbott Northwestern Hospital medical staff
- Wells Fargo Bank
- Wells Fargo Home Mortgage
- Childrens Hospitals and Clinics
- Thomson-Dougherty Funeral Home
- Phillips West Neighborhood Association
- Portland Avenue Block Club
- American Swedish Institute
- Chicago-Lake Business Association
- 4th and Lake Business Association
- City Council Member Robert Lilligren
- Phillips Weed & Seed
- Lutheran Social Services
- 2615 Park Avenue Associates
- We Love Kids Daycare
- Zuhrah Shrine Center
- Oakland Square Co-Op
- New Horizon